Back to blog index

A Look Back at our 2014 Season

Spring has arrived in Crescent Spur, and we are still finding it hard to believe our 2014 ski season is over. We had a great winter—we saw the whole range of what Mother Nature can offer this year. Epic deep powder days where snorkels would have been welcome, long stretches of cold clear weather that allowed us to access fantastic skiing on our glaciers, and a few days in the season where Mother Nature worked against us with the weather. But every day we were just thankful to have the opportunity to do what we do!

Cariboos
Spring Skiing at the Spur (Photo by Dan Waldman)

This year marked our 22nd year in operation. We have always said that we have the best guests that make what we do all the more special. A few facts about our wonderful guests: 64% were return guests, and the other 36% were new friends we made.

We had 9 individuals mark their 5th trip with us and received an Arc’teryx jacket, 5 guests received a Arc’teryx ski suit to mark their 10th week with us, and we had one guest, Carrie James receive her Free Ski Week to celebrate her 20th trip at Crescent Spur. And of course the “Heli-Devil” Garry James racked up trips 35–39 this winter. A big thank you to all of our guests who joined us this season!

Carrie James ripping on her 20th trip with Crescent Spur Photo by Florian Scharlock
Carrie James ripping on her 20th trip with Crescent Spur (Photo by Florian Scharlock)

Along with great guests, we feel fortunate to have an incredible team of staff  that helps us put on great holidays in the mountains. One of our lead guides, Keith Libech marked his 10th year with Crescent Spur this season. As a thank you for his dedication and hard work, we purchased flying hours at the Calgary Flying Club—Keith plans to use the hours to fly to Alaska. We are very fortunate at Crescent Spur to have staff that come back year after year. Adam DeVita, lead guide, and Andre Lafferma, helicopter pilots, both marked their 17th seasons with Crescent Spur this year.

In the lodge, Chef Greg joined us for his 5th winter of cooking incredible meals and Pam, head housekeeper kept things in top order for the 7th year in a row. And Jessica returned after a 2 year hiatus for her 9th season. We would also like to extend a big congratulations to Jesse Milner, our tail guide, who passed his Assistant Ski Guide exam this spring!

Looking ahead: Mark is already hard at work planning his projects around the lodge for the summer. We will keep you posted on the developments as they progress. And our 2015 season is already over 80% sold! If you would like to join us for our 23rd season in operation—call us today! Check our booking page for current availability.

Above the Clouds Photo by Neal Rogers
Above the Clouds (Photo by Neal Rogers)

Once again, thanks to all of our guests and staff who made our 2014 season such a great one—We hope to see you all next winter!

Snowy Spring Days in the Northern Rockies (Photo by Gabe McClintock)
Another “Blower Day“” in the Mountains (Photo by Florian Scharlock)
image 580
Epic Tree Skiing in Macleod Creek (Photo by Florian Scharlock)